All about the Bent Way of Living

Sunday, February 12, 2006

nicht horen ?

I am feeling a bit bad today about the way I have been treating snowshoers. Just a little bit though, not very much - they are still boorish ignorant dolts - but they have a handicap I was not aware of until today. I was skating out to the Cinder Pit and back, and making good time I might add - on the way to breaking the 60 minute barrier. On one of the last downhill sections, I saw a couple of people near the bottom of the incline, in the middle of the trail. As I grew closer, I could tell by the primitive posture and the ungainly manner in which they trudged forward, that they were snowshoers. They were blocking most of the trail, and I was approaching them with a good deal of speed. I felt the bile rise in my throat at the annoyance of their perpetration. When they still did not react in any way to my approach, I gave forth with a shout, to provide them with warning about my imminent arrival. Still no reaction. I gritted my teeth and yelled "On your left!", the traditional hailing in such circumstances, understood by all brothers and sisters who share the trail. Still nothing. At the last second, I was able to veer around them through a small opening, narrowly avoiding a collision. I veered right again in a 'cutting off' manoeuvre, to signal my frustration and annoyance, much as we do to other vehicles who have impeded our progress on the road. I looked back to guage their reaction, and saw none ! They were apparently completely unaware of the catastrophe that had been avoided. It was then that it dawned on me - they are deaf ! Snowshoers, whether from birth, or due to some condition related to their web-footed pursuit, are unable to hear. I began to regret my actions just a little bit, although of course there is no excuse for their behaviour. Another possibility did cross my mind : perhaps the act of placing one foot in front of the other on the snow, repetitively, taxes their minuscule brains to such an extent that all their other senses become effectively disabled. But the possiblity of such utter stupidity does seem very remote. So I have learned from this encounter today. From now on, I will carry with me some small objects, perhaps pinecones, and pelt any snowshoers with them as I approach them in order to provide warning. I can only hope that they will appreciate my observance of their condition.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bad Design said...

I am glad you share my views brother. We must be ever vigilant in these Perilous times. But what of these shark attacks you speak of - is this a new plague ? I am now thinking of a Final Solution here : you got your Sharks, you got your Snowshoers...do you see where I'm going with this ?

2:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home