All about the Bent Way of Living

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

More Quickie Book and Movie Reviews

Ratings are 0 to *****
Books :

- The logic of life : the rational economics of an irrational world / Tim Harford [***]

Interesting view of life from an economics science point of view. The main premise is that all the choices we make in life - however illogical they may seem - are based on sound economic theory.

- The cider house rules : a novel / John Irving [****]

I only ever saw the movie. The book is possibly better, though somewhat depressing as well.

- Journey / by James Michener [***]

A short book for Michener. Excellent portrayal of the extremes of life and death during the Yukon Gold Rush.

- The man in the iron mask / Alexandre Dumas

Trying to read some classics - just couldn't do it - too much other more interesting stuff to read. Only made it 50 pages or so...

- Simple genius / David Baldacci [*]

Typical blockbuster author crap. He wrote one good book I read a long time ago. I only made it through the first 20 pages before dumping it. I would have given it a 0 rating, but can't really cuz I didn't finish it.

- Theft : a love story / Peter Carey [*****]

This is the 2nd book I've read by Carey - it's completely different and no less amazing. The author uses another original storytelling style - chapters alternate narration between the main protaganist and his idiot-savant brother. The descriptive flow of words in some cases is breathtaking, immersing you in the moment using far-out but apt analogies.

- Common wealth : economics for a crowded planet / Jeffrey D. Sachs [*****]

This is one of the most influential (personally at least) non-fiction works I've ever read. It is a must-read for anyone who cares about the economic/ecological/environmental/etc state of this planet. It looks at the big picture, about how if we are going to keep this planet from becoming a big mess, nations need to start acting globally, rather than using self-contained strategies which are ultimately doomed. It also helped change my perspective from 'me against the world' to 'we're all in this together'. It is not easy going, and must be consumed in small quantities in order to facilitate proper digestion.

- The Pixar Touch: The Making of a Company / David Price [**]

A worthwhile read, if you're a computer / animation geek.

- Fatal misconception : the struggle to control world population / Matthew Connelly.

If I hadn't read Common Wealth ... [see above], I probably would have finished this, but it was going over some of the same material - albeit in greater depth wrt population control - so I abandoned shortly into it. Might pick it up again next year.

- Dinner with Mugabe : the untold story of a freedom fighter who became a tyrant / Heidi Holland. [***]

Another book that took me a month or 2 to finish, but a great portrayal of Zimbabwe's much-maligned (and justifiably so) leader of the last few decades, who has driven his country into the ground.

- The white tiger : a novel / Aravind Adiga [***]

This book won a lot of awards. I thought it was good, but not great. Good insight into rural Indian life.

Movies :

- Iron Man [****]

Entertaining, and well-done for a superhero movie. Better than the SpiderMan movies I thought.

- The Happening [0]

This was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I picked it up because it said it was the same director as The Sixth Sense, which was awesome. I was a little suspicious when I saw Mark Wahlberg (sp?) as the lead actor - doesn't he suck ? Well the answer is a resounding yes ! The entire movie he had this intense worried frown. His dialog was stilted and artificial. The supporting actors were no better. The female lead was cute, but was she trying to play someone who was retarded (excuse my political incorrectness, but no other word will suffice) ? At first I thought so, but then I realized it was just more bad acting. Pass!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home